Thursday, June 9, 2011

Tye Dye Luv

Had a good night sleep last night in my own bed...so nice.  Awoke fresh and ready to finish some projects today.

I've been working on getting the colors right on this one for a while...Koh, who runs a shop in Japan, had requested a few bars painted to match the tye dye colors on the background of the blog.  I've been putting them off while I tried to track down colors that were not too opaque, blended well, and gave just a hint of transparency to let the base white give a motteled look, kinda like when you dye a shirt.  Who'da thunk I'd have to work so hard to find paints that met my needs? 

Regardless, with the paints mixed and reduced in the cups, it's time to get to work...

I started by laying down a base of white, then beginning to airbrush in the yellow, allowing lateral streaks to extend out the bars to simumlate the creeping of dye...

Then the orange begins to overlap, dart in some lines, then fog the bases to blend them in...

A little red...

Then a splash of purple and blue, leaving the darker colors a bit transparent so that it looks like the dye soaked in at different rates dependant on the "twist of the shirt"...

And with two coats of clear to make em all nice and shiny like...

Pretty "groovy" finished product   :)

rody

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That formica pattern is so right!